Today I'm hosting a tour spot for the audiobook Alex McKenna & The Geranium Deaths, by Vicki-Ann Bush, narrated by Marcus Rothenberg. Vicki Ann stopped by to talk a little about her process of producing an audiobook and tell us her 10 favorite books.
Title: Alex McKenna & The Geranium Deaths
Author: Vicki-Ann Bush
Narrator: Marcus Rothenberg
Length: 8 hours 38 minutes
Publisher: The Parliament House
Released: June 10, 2020
Genre: YA Paranormal
For Alex McKenna, high school is just a distraction from the love of his life Margaret, with whom he can't wait to spend more time once they get to college. In many respects, Alex is just an average 17-year-old boy...except for the fact he's a transgender medium born from a long line of Strega witches, possessing the ability to communicate with ghosts.
With the help of Margaret and his talented Strega great-grandmother, Alex will learn how to strengthen his abilities. The dead need Alex to help them reconcile issues they left behind, and he finds that he needs them, too.
As his abilities multiply, assisting the dead becomes an outlet to channel his new energy, giving him the strength to come to terms with who he is as a transgender male and how far he will choose to go.
Originally from New York, Vicki-Ann currently reside in Nevada. Writing Young Adult paranormal, she finds inspiration from events that have been in her life for as long as she can remember. Inheriting the sensitivity to the supernatural from her family, they continue to be an endless source of vision.
Newly released on September 24, 2019 from The Parliament House, the YA Paranormal LGBTQ, Alex McKenna & The Geranium Deaths. A series of books that will feature a seventeen year old, transgender boy with paranormal abilities.
Author has several titles that have received Reader's Favorite Five Star seal, as well as the 2017 & 2018 winner of, 50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading.
Coming October 20th, 2020, the release of book 2, Alex McKenna & The Academy of Souls.
Marcus Rothenberg is a voiceover artist born and raised in Springfield, Illinois. After high school, Marcus joined the Air Force as an air traffic controller. Once out of the service, he began to pursue his passions, including his dream career as a voice over artist. Marcus began pursuing voice work full time in November of 2019. Since then, he has lent his voice to multiple projects ranging from commercials, to commissioned Dungeons and Dragons character voices, to full length audiobooks. He currently lives back in his hometown of Springfield, Illinois and is continuing to use his voice to fuel his passion. When Marcus is not recording, he enjoys table top games, video games, reading, and kayaking.
Q&A with Author Vicki-Ann Bush
- Tell us about the process of turning your book into an audiobook. For me it was a dream come true. I’d been with my previous publisher for over seven years and none of my books were offered in audio. Honestly, the first day I saw it on Amazon and heard the excerpt, I cried. But that didn’t answer the question. My publisher, The Parliament House, auditioned narrators and sent me a sample of one they thought would be a good fit. I agreed, and after that it was primarily waiting for everything to be completed.
- Was a possible audiobook recording something you were conscious of while writing? For this book, yes. It was part of my contract with the publisher.
- Were there any real life inspirations behind your writing? Actually, yes. The protagonist Alex McKenna, was written for someone very close to my heart who is transgender. I wanted a character that is transgender but that component of his life is his. He shares what he wants and the rest is focused on the paranormal.
- If you had the power to time travel, would you use it? If yes, when and where would you go? Since time travel is one of my favorite topics, I love this question. Yes, I would absolutely travel back in time. I’d center it around my family, see my grandma when she was a kid, and my mom and dad too. Maybe revisit certain precious memories of my childhood and the childhood of my children. Oh and the early 20th century, 1910 - 1939.
- If this title were being made into a TV series or movie, who would you cast to play the primary roles? I’ve been looking at various young adult, trans male actors, and one that stood out to me is Theo Germaine.
- What do you say to those who view listening to audiobooks as “cheating” or as inferior to “real reading”? My sister in-law and brother both drive daily for a specimen company. They’re on the road for nearly eight hours a day, five days a week. Audio books allow them to enjoy the stories they don’t have time for and the books help keep the day interesting. So I’d say to those who question the validity of audio vs. “real reading”, understand that not everyone may have time to read with the pages between their fingers but it doesn’t mean they should be denied the stories they love.
- How did you celebrate after finishing this novel? My go to is wine (red of course), Mexican food, and dark chocolate.
- In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of writing a stand-alone novel vs. writing a series? Since I’ve done both, I think for a series the pros are being familiar with the characters and the background. Cons are you’re trying to outdo the last book and keep the existing characters fresh. For a stand alone, I think for me it’s only pros. You create, build, and then when it’s over you move on.
- What’s next for you? Releasing on October 20th, 2020 is the second installment of the Alex McKenna series, Alex Mckenna & The Academy of Souls.
Vicki-Ann Bush Top 10 books :
My Best Friend’s Exorcism, The Lunar Chronicles, Crave Series Book 1, Odd Thomas Series, Lightning, The Witching Hour, Sookie Stackhouse Series, Timeline, Carolina Moon, Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
Plugging you into the audio community since 2016.
Sign up as a tour host here.